History | Scrap Metal
The Norstar Timeline
- 1947 Ray Sailah started Preston Metals in Gilbert Road, Preston with partner Ted Wilson.
- 1950 Ray buys out partner, Ted Wilson.
- 1952 Ray starts Norstar Junk company in Gilbert Rd, Preston.
- 1956 Ray buys property at Banbury Rd, Reservoir predominately trading Non-Ferrous scrap metals.
- 1970 Paul Sailah, Rays son, joins the business.
- 1974 Purchase of 1st Marrel truck to load and unload scrap Marrel bins.
- 1974 Purchase of 1st Crane to handle scrap.
- 1974 Purchased adjoining property at Banbury Rd, Reservoir.
- 1974-1976 Built 100 Marrel bins.
- 1978 Purchased first piece of Ferrous handling equipment, a Lindemann Baler and begins exporting steel bales internationally.
- 1979 Loaded first bulk shipment with 20,000 tonnes of Ferrous scrap metal.
- 1980 Norstar Junk is renamed to Norstar Steel Recyclers.
- 1981 Purchased property at Dohertys Rd, Laverton North, a 20 acre site with existing baling and shearing operation.
- 1983 Purchase of 1st Hook truck to load and unload scrap Hook-Lift bins.
- 1989 Commissioned Lindemann 1250hp Shredder.
- 1997 Nortrade International, Norstar's international trading arm commences.
- 1997 Commissioned Lindemann 1250 tonne Static Shear at Laverton North increasing shearing capacity from 10 to 40 tonnes per hour.
- 1997-1998 Head Office Laverton built and opened.
- 1998 Commissioning of first dedicated Non Ferrous Eddi Current Sorting Plant.
- 2002 Purchased property at Redgum Drive, Dandenong, an 8 acre site which exists as a transfer yard.
- 2002 Built non ferrous upgrade plant at Laverton North.
- 2004 Purchased property adjacent to Laverton North facility, bringing the operation area to a total of 37 acres.
- 2005 Commissioning of 4000hp, Lynxs Shredder installed at Laverton North taking our production capacity to 130 tonnes per hour.
- 2006 Installed second weighbridge at Dandenong.
- 2007 Increased office and amenities capacity at Laverton North.
- 2007 Purchase and install 1st Seram Equilibrium Electric Crane.
- 2008 Purchase and install 2nd Seram Equilibrium Electric Crane.
- 2008 Increased non ferrous storage & processing capacity at Reservoir including the installation of a second weighbridge.
- 2009 Purchased property at Boundary Rd Nth, Euroa, a 3 acre site which exists as a transfer yard.
- 2009 Installed Thyssen Henschel 1250 tonne Shear at Dandenong.
- 2009 Installed Container Speed Loader at Laverton.
- 2010 Commissioned Non-Ferrous Sorting Plant at Laverton North
- 2010 Purchased Property in Separation St, Geelong
- 2012 Opened another scrap yard at 160-162 Colchester Rd, Bayswater North.
Also throughout this period Norstar has invested heavily in Mobile equipment, including Sierra mobile baler, Al-Jon mobile baler, Akros henschell mobile shear baler, 3 Al-Jon mobile car compactors and 1 Mac mobile car compactor. Norstar has also heavily invested, and is constantly investing, in scrap metal bins
of all capacities with the current tally being approximately 1100 bins